Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Location Based Programs

Facebook has recently come out with a new setting that allows GPS to track where you are when you make updates or tag yourself in photos. Here is what here is what SunSentinal.com had to say about it.
"It's great for smart phone users who want to know where their friends are at any given moment. Some of them already use Foursquare and GoWalla to "check in" to restaurants, bars and other hot spots. But users who are concerned about privacy must proactively change their settings to opt out."
I find this comment consistent with my thoughts about the issue in that I do care about privacy issues and I don't necessarily want that much information floating around. It seems like it would be an on-going task to keep my location at bay, but for those people who are wanting to see where there friends and family are then it would be fun and one more thing to stock people with using the Internet.
Location based marketing is now helping telecommunication companies to send out more relevant information for their customers because they will know your location. Once again privacy is one thing that is a hot topic in relation to this topic.
The more intrusive technology becomes the more I cant help but think how long will it last? When will people become so sick of being bombarded with advertising and marketing pitches and advertisements? I wonder when people will see the value of "less is more."
I do see a slim value in location based programs, but I don't quite think that the benefit outweighs the cost.

http://articles.sun-sentinel.com/2010-08-28/news/fl-slcol-facebook-places-settings-20100828_1_mafia-wars-facebook-users-gowalla
http://www.mobilemarketer.com/cms/news/advertising/9540.html

1 comment:

  1. I know it is a great and inexpensive tool for businesses to use, but I can't help find location based media to be super creepy! It is a stalkers paradise!

    ReplyDelete